What you’ll need
- 4 cups aubergine, sliced thin
- 280 grams cheddar cheese, shredded
- 225 grams mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 450 grams lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon italian flat leaf parsley
- 450 grams tinned pureed tomatoes
The easy bit
- Preheat oven to 175ºC.
- Saute lean ground beef in a frying pan with mushrooms, garlic, onion, celery and italian seasonings. Fry until the meat is no longer pink. Drain any excess oil and remove.
- Slice the aubergine thinly. Grease bottom and sides of a large glass baking dish with olive oil.
- Layer half the aubergine on the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle with additional italian parsley if desired.
- Layer half of the meat mixture, half of the tomato puree and half of the cheddar cheese. Repeat layering with remaining aubergine, meat, sauce and cheddar cheese.
- Spread mozzarella over the top of the dish, cover with foil and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until done, taking the foil off 5-10 minutes early to brown the top.
- Serve with stir fried or steamed vegetables.
- Energy – 337 kcal
- Protein – 32 grams
- Carbs – 17 grams
- Fats – 14 grams
- Fibre – 10 grams