What you’ll need
- 1 tomato, cut in large chunks
- 1⁄4 cucumber, sliced
- 1⁄4 red onion, sliced
- 1 small stalk celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tbsp capers
- 4 sardines, butterflied
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
The easy bit
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Toss all the vegetables and capers together in a large bowl.
- On a greased baking tray, lay out the sardines, skin-side up. Season with oregano, salt, pepper, olive oil and sherry vinegar.
- Roast sardines for 4 to 5 minutes. Keep all the juices that leach out, as these will be your dressing.
- Dress the vegetables with the pan juices and parsley. Season and arrange salad on plate, and garnish with sardines.