What you’ll need
- 1.5 L chicken stock*
- 3 chicken breasts
- 10 medium or 6 large (5cm diameter) shiitake mushrooms, soaked in boiling water and sliced finely
- 3 whole eggs
- 9 egg whites
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 bunch coriander & stalks
- 4 stalks spring onions, sliced finely
- 4 heads bok choy, sliced 3cm pieces
- 150g mushrooms
- fish sauce to taste
The easy bit
- Bring chicken stock to a simmer, poach chicken breasts, covered for 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to chopping board and shred with 2 forks. Return chicken to pot with mushrooms and coriander simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- To make noodles, whisk whole eggs and egg whites lightly. Using a nonstick pan wiped with vegetable oil, on medium heat, pour just enough egg to coat pan. When the egg begins to dry up at the edges, the egg is ready to be flipped. Using a butter knife, release enough of the edge so you can pinch it with both hands, to peel away and then swiftly flip over to cook other side for 2 seconds. Roll up immediately and slice into thin strands. Repeat process until all egg mixture is cooked then divide into 4 bowls with spring onions.
- In a small pot bring garlic and oil to a medium heat and cook garlic until just golden. Remove from heat immediately and pour into the chicken soup. Bring soup to the boil then add bok choy to blanch for 5 seconds. Divide the soup into the 4 bowls. Garnish with more fresh coriander if you wish and serve while piping hot.