What you’ll need
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 small onion – chopped
- 2 clove garlic – chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 whole basil leaves, plus 5 roughly chopped
- 1 cup canned diced tomato
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 small aubergine, sliced 5mm thick
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10g Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella, edam or low fat cheddar cheese to taste
The easy bit
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- To make the Napoli sauce, add cooking oil to a saucepan and lightly saute the onion and garlic until they just start to colour. Season and add the chopped basil. Cook for anohter minute, add the tomato and cook until the sauce has a nice thick consistency. Adjust seasoning, add sugar and set aside.
- Take the aubergine slices, salt them and leave them on a tray for 20 minutes. Wash the aubergine of excess salt and pat dry with absorbent paper. Brush with oil and grill both sides of each slice.
- In a baking dish or ovenproof dish, spread a small amount of Napoli and then a layer of aubergine, then add more Napoli, some basil leaves and the mozzarella (or other cheese). Continue layering until you have used up all of the aubergine.
- On the top layer, sprinkle some Parmesan, and then bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Garnish with the whole basil leaves.