What you’ll need
- 500g ripe tomatoes
- juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 1/2 chilli, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium aubergine, sliced lengthwise into 5mm pieces
- 250g cleaned sashimi-grade calamari, finely shaved
The easy bit
- Peel and seed the tomatoes and chop roughly into 1cm pieces,making sure to keep all their juice. Place in a bowl, and add the lemon juice, chilli, garlic and basil leaves. Season, add about 3 tablespoons of oil and allow to sit for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, add 3 tablespoons of oil to a non-stick pan and fry the aubergine until golden brown and crisp (try adding 1 tablespoon of oil at a time, as the aubergine will absorb it quickly). Remove from oil and place on absorbent paper. Season and allow to cool.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan until the oil ripples. Place in a quarter of the shaved calamari and cook until it turns white, stirring all the time. The calamari should not colour – this will take about 15 seconds. Remove from pan onto absorbent paper and season. Repeat with the remaining calamari.
- To serve, put three slices of the eggplant on a plate, then drizzle with the tomato salsa and top with a quarter of the calamari. Garnish with a little extra basil. Serve at room temperature.