What you’ll need
- 2 medium red peppers
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 x 400g tinned plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 spring onions, finely shredded to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
The easy bit
- Preheat the grill to hot. Halve and deseed the peppers, arrange them on the grill and cook for 8-10 minutes until softened and charred, turning occasionally.
- Leave to cool slightly, then carefully peel off the charred skin. Reserving a small piece for garnish, chop the pepper flesh.
- In a large pan, fry the onion, celery and garlic in olive oil until softened. Add the chopped pepper flesh to the pan.
- Add the stock and the bay leaves. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the tomatoes and transfer to a blender. Process for a few seconds until smooth. Return to the saucepan.
- Season to taste and heat for 3-4 minutes until piping hot. Ladle into bowls and garnish with the reserved pepper strips and spring onion.